Nouns name a person, place, thing, idea, animal, quality, or action. The words a, an, and the signal that a noun is coming. (A chair, the dog, an apple)
Here are a few nouns: dog, cats, women, Sally, justice, strength, departure, apples, England, Califonia, Steve Young, mice, school, beach, kindness, food
***Nouns can be made into plural nouns by adding -s
Nouns used in sentences are below:
1. Judy and Chad made a cake.
2. The moon is far away from the earth.
- ("Judy" and "Chad" are people, and "cake" is a thing. ***did you notice "cake" had the word "a" in front of it? That tells you that "cake" is a noun)
3. His kindness was appreciated.
- ("moon" and "earth" are places, and they both had the word "the" in front of them, so that tells you a noun is coming)
4. The plane will depart in twenty minutes.
- ("kindness" is an idea, therefore, it's a noun)
- ("plane" is a thing and has the signal "the" in front of it; "minutes" is an idea)
Go to the other parts of speech:
Practice:Are you ready to practice the parts of speech? If you are, it's time to play a Madlibs game!!
Go back to the parts of speech homepage.